Sunday, June 16, 2013

New Adventures in Chronic Pain

My most recent letter to the Terrifying Beast that is University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, this time to the "Office of Patient Relations"
June 16, 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure who to contact but I'm pretty much at my wits' end.

My name is Jamal River & I'm a patient at UIHC. I have Multiple Sclerosis & have had a constant headache/migraine for almost a decade now, as well as various other forms of chronic pain. I've been seen by countless doctors over the years, both at University and at Mercy, and have been put on any number of medications. Mainly for depression, which is interesting because I wasn't particularly depressed before the years of constant pain.

I have been an inpatient twice this year, once in January after a nearly successful suicide attempt, having grown more than tired of the years & years of crippling pain, and once in February, after going to the ER three times for agonizing nerve pain, only to eventually be admitted to one of Dr. Potash's psych wards, where I was treated solely as a psych patient and none of my chronic, excruciating physical symptoms were treated or acknowledged as anything other than "all in my head."

Currently I am unable to work because of the daily level of pain. I don't know how much longer I will be able to keep my job, I have missed a lot of work this year already.

I was seen at the Pain Clinic a few weeks ago, where I was basically told there was nothing they could do for me, & I needed to go see a psychiatrist & physical therapist.

I was given a referral by Neurologist Mishelle Paullus to see Behavioral Health Clinician Emily Santi, but so far have not had in any luck in that endeavor. Not that I actually have reason to believe she could help me, so far I just keep getting passed around.

As I say, I'm really at my wits' end. Thanks for your time.

A. Jamal River

(We'll see what that earns me in hell...)

4 comments:

  1. A response from University Hospital, 6/17/13:

    Jamal,

    Thank you for your email, and please accept my apologies regarding your dissatisfaction with UIHC. Lena Mann is one of our patient representatives who is currently working on your concerns. We, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are continually striving for patient satisfaction and excellence in healthcare.

    Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, and Lena Mann will be connecting with you regarding your issues.

    Noelle Andrew
    ______________________

    My response to that:

    Well that is interesting. Lena Mann was ostensibly helping me with a specific grievance weeks ago, about which I never heard back. I was just about to send her a followup email on the subject but I guess I won't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    My name is Tajharia Bloom, my friend Lydia directed me to this post. I too am a patient at UIHC a reality which I find futile at best. The pain clinic is useless for chronic issues, they only tend to injuries or post surgical and temporary. The lack of cohesive care, being treated like I only have psych problems because pain isn't considered real or life threatening, denial of pain medication that is prescribed, paid for, and available, and I could go on and on... I have been suicidal for years, and my current plans (postponed hopefully indefinitely, but I doubt it) involve a media slam of what I have been through at the hands of the university both at a patient and as a student.

    I'm sure our stories are different in many ways, but sadly, there are at least two of us here suffering, and I suspect many more. Personally, I feel annihilated by the manner in which UIHC does business, and my failure to win social security benefits means I'm stuck here, suffering on.

    This is my long winded way of saying that I get it, and of informing you and your other readers that you are not the only one going through this. I believe the problem is widespread and simply the all American (or at least, the all Iowan) way of failing at health care. The only reason I don't go to the ER when I have mind searing pain anymore is because all they'll do is lock me in a psych ward, and while I have psychiatric needs, they are only the tip of the iceberg. If I am breathing and not bleeding out, I stay home.

    Lydia can connect us of Facebook if you would like someone to commiserate with. I'm always looking for friends who can see me as still being human, despite the mobility devices and the realities of my circumstances. We're both friends of Lydia and that goes a long way in my book.

    Peace,

    -Tajh'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for your comment! I really appreciate hearing from other people also going through these torturous ordeals. I have no doubt that you're correct, I'm sure there are countless suffering patients being robbed, victimized & invalidated by UIHC every day; years ago I swore I would never go back to them, & yet here I am. Amazing what pain will make you do!
      Thanks again for writing, I'll definitely look you up on the FacialBooke.

      Delete
  3. Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    How to search for the best Pain doctors in los angeles

    ReplyDelete