Monday, June 17, 2013

Re: Disability Benefits

This morning I wrote to Hoefer Law Firm in Iowa City, my 1st effort at trying to begin the process of applying for disability benefits. I'm waiting to hear back.

Hello,

Jason Knight [from the Community Mental Health Center in Iowa City] gave me your contact info & suggested I get in touch with you about filing for disability. I have Multiple Sclerosis & have had a constant headache/migraine for the past decade. It has become increasingly difficult for me to work, & though I'm still employed for the moment I have missed many weeks already this year & don't imagine I'll be able to keep the job (or my health insurance) much longer at all. I haven't been to work recently simply because the pain has been too severe to manage. My boss is nice about letting me miss way more time than I'm supposed to but that can only go on so long.

I haven't filed for disability yet, seeing as I'm technically still employed, and I was hoping to talk with someone about the best plan of action before completely abandoning my job & its insurance & filing a claim without really knowing what I'm doing. I've been told it's fairly essential to get assistance when filing for disability, so that's what I'm hoping to find.
Thanks much for your time.
A. Jamal River
___________________________________________

This is totally new terrain for me, I don't know what procedures one follows. I hope these folks can be of help.

And to you, dear readers: I was surprised to discover how many people read yesterday's blog post in the course of a day, I'm touched. I made that post in a somewhat random, offhanded act of desperate irritation, I appreciate that there are others who wanted to read it. If anyone has questions, comments, suggestions, whatever, I'd love to hear them. I know there are a ton of people out there dealing with daily chronic pain (not to mention wading through the torturous mire of often worse-than-useless medical "services"). I have no idea what the solution is, but if there's any chance at all that we can help each other survive more comfortably, I'm all for it. Thanks for reading.

Love,
J.

1 comment:

  1. I have spoken to a lawyer about filing for SSDI. It was not encouraging (big surprise). I don't know how anyone who doesn't already have enough money to live on for many months or even years can possibly manage the interminable process of applying.

    ReplyDelete